Science Park Amsterdam is a joint development, which is being fronted by the University of Amsterdam (UvA), the City of Amsterdam and the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research. The basic principle is to develop the area into a prestigious centre for scientific education, research and business.
The first scientific institute to move to the area in 1946 was the Institute for Nuclear Physics Research (the predecessor of the present Nikhef). In 1960, it was joined by the FOM Institute for Atomic and Molecular Physics (AMOLF) and UvA purchased part of the site for its Faculty of Biology. 1980 saw the relocation of the Centre for Mathematics and Computer Sciences (CWI) and SARA to the Science Park. Businesses started moving to the site when ASP (now MATRIX Innovation Center) based itself here. In 1996, the City of Amsterdam designated Science Park Amsterdam as a major project. Nowadays, all the research institutes and teaching facilities for the Faculty of Science are based in one faculty building. The only reminders of the history of this site, which was reclaimed in 1629, are the historic ‘Anna Hoeve’ farm, the lanes of old trees and the pollard willows.
The total building capacity of the area amounts to 500,000 m² intended for businesses and institutes, 157,000 m² of which will be used as office and laboratory space.
- 2007 - 2012 completion of 1,870 homes for students, owner-occupiers and private tenants
- 2009 (1 February) temporary café-restaurant Polder (will move to Anna Hoeve in 2012)
- 2009 (20 February) realization of first phase of new building work on the Faculty of Science building (55,000 m²)
- 2009 (8 April) Liander 150 kV plant taken into use
- 2009 (8 April) completion of Science Park ring road, extension of bus route 40 and peak-time bus 240
- 2009 (May) completion of Institute for Atomic and Molecular Physics building (8,740 m²)
- 2009 (May) completion of renovation and extension work to the Centre for Mathematics and Computer Sciences (new building 4,000 m²) (off. opening 11 Nov. 2010)
- 2009 (13 December) new train connection Amsterdam Science Park NS station
- 2010 (June) Anna Hoeve park square
- 2010 (5 July) completion of Universum Sports Centre, including Oerknal café (USC, 10,000 m²) (opened 8 October 2010)
- 2010 (summer) completion of second phase of building work on the Faculty of Science building (45,000 m²) (official opening 24 November 2010)
- 2012 completion of Amsterdam University College (AUC)
- 2013 completion of building work on business accommodation/laboratories for Matrix VI (MATRIX Innovation Center)
Still under construction
- 2013 completion of 650 student units
- 2013 completion of indirect junction with A10 ring road
- 2013 completion of hotel and conference facilities
- Future: Science#1: business accommodation and laboratories (phased building work on 25,000 m²)